Most people have encountered traumatic events in their lives. For some people, physical and emotional trauma have become parts of their daily lives. But as much as conventional drugs are good for their treatment, they are not 100% effective.
Generally, mental disorders are not easy to treat. This is because each person has a unique traumatic experience. Additionally, how they deal with these experiences varies from one person to the next. But there are studies which suggest that CBD can help to treat anxiety and PTSD. This article offers an overview of CBD and its effectiveness in treating PTSD.
Baselines of PTSD
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a medical condition that’s triggered by traumatic events. It causes severe anxiety, flashbacks, and nightmares. People who suffer from PTSD may find it difficult to adjust. But with time and good aftercare, the symptoms can significantly reduce.
Symptoms of PTSD and diagnosing it in the USA
- Behavioral symptoms: agitation, irritability, social isolation, and self-destructive behavior.
- Sleep: insomnia, sleeplessness, and nightmares.
- Psychological: severe anxiety, flashback, fear, and mistrust.
- Mood: loneliness, guilt, loss of interest in certain activities, emotional detachment, and unwanted thoughts.
In 1980, the United State officially recognized PTSD as a mental problem. Using the psychological manual for all clinical professional, there is a standard procedure for recognizing PTSD and it involves:
- Functions which relate to symptoms which may cause social or professional issues.
- Direct/Indirect stressor: it may increase the patient’s risk of injury, violence, and threats.
- Negative arousal: hyper-vigilant and aggressive behavior.
- Intrusion: it involves reoccurring circumstance via flashbacks and memories.
- Avoidance: avoiding of trauma-related feelings and thoughts.
- Duration: the symptom may last for a month or longer.
Controlling the After-Effects
CBD is generally considered ideal for anxious situations and experiences. It’s a therapeutic agent which has a calming effect. The effectiveness of CBD pain relief rub makes it suitable for treating sore joints and muscles. Overall, its efficiency in controlling the after-effects makes it the best remedy for easing symptoms of intense nightmares. It should be noted that nightmare is the most common symptom of PTSD.
PTSD can trigger intense stress. This means that the affected patient may end up feeling constantly tensed or experience increased awareness. As a result, it becomes very difficult for them to sleep. However, cannabis contains compounds that can effectively minimize REM and other vivid dreams. Not only does it reduce the severity of recurring nightmares, but it ensures that the patient sleeps while they’re relaxed.
Research studies indicate CBD oil helps to perfectly curb the after-effects of PTSD. It improves the duration and quality of sleep. Besides that, it reduces daytime flashbacks and prevents excessive sweating.
Mental Health and CBD
For quite some time, CBD oil has been touted to be an effective remedy for mental health issues. This organic compound works with the endocannabinoid system. As a result, it helps to regulate overall wellbeing. But how does CBD help to treat PTSD?
- Treating Fear Expression: recent research studies show that CBD can inhibit the fear of expression. A lab study conducted on rats shows that it reduces overall fear. Besides that, CBD has long-lasting effects.
- Anxiety and Insomnia: the therapeutic properties of CBD oil make it effective in treating insomnia and anxiety. CBD has anti-inflammatory and anti-anxiety properties. Therefore, it’s an effective remedy for PTSD-induced anxiety and insomnia.
PTSD is a serious and common mental disorder. In fact, it’s more severe than anxiety and depression. This means that patients may need more attentive solutions. As much as CBD oil has proved to be an effective source of alternative medicine, those with PTSD should exercise caution. First, it’s important to speak to your doctor before using this cannabis compound.
If you are going to use CBD for PTSD, then it’s recommended that you start with smaller doses. For instance, a 20-25 mg dose per day is great. After that, you can gradually increase the dose by 5 to 10 mg per day. If you have PTSD, understand that CBD can also cause mild side effects. Most people normally end up experiencing fatigue, headaches, and low blood pressure.
Pharmaceutical Industry & their Role
According to the FDA, only two types of synthetic pharmaceuticals are approved for PTSD. Although conventional drugs are good, they also come with numerous side effects. It should be noted that PTSD patients also need to use multiple types of conventional drugs. For instance, opiates are suitable for pain relief. Besides that, anxiety is normally treated with Ativan while SSRIs are great for depression. The combination of drugs that keeps patients awake and asleep is what normally leads to a downward spiral.
One group of people that are highly affected by PTSD are veterans. Doctors are now worried that they have to give patients numerous addictive and toxic pills. These drugs not only fail to solve their problems but also lead to other health problems.
It’s clear that PTSD is a serious mental condition which is difficult to treat. Its severity as well as the cause of trigger varies from person to person. Although most people use conventional drugs, these drugs come with lots of side effects. CBD has proved to a great source of alternative medicine. There are several clinical trials which highlight its effectiveness in easing the negative symptoms of PTSD. It’s now a popular choice of most veterans who suffer from the debilitating post-war anxiety and nightmares.